Now US Navy is arming drone boats
More Recent Stories
- A PRAYER FOR AMERICA
- 'MYSTERIES OF RADIANCE UNFOLDED' - 'ALL IS RADIANCE' - PHOENIX JOURNAL 74- Introduction
- BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY IN THE HEALTH INDUSTRY (with Comment by PHB)
- OBAMACARE CASE REVIEW: DOJ IS FLIP FLOPPING
- SANANDA: THE VOICE OF TRUTH SHALL BE HEARD THROUGHOUT THE LAND / with Italian Translation
- 'FOOTSTEPS INTO TRUTH - UNCOVERING LIES AND FRAUD ABOUT GOD AND MAN' - PHOENIX JOURNAL #91-CHAPTER 15 - 'The Coming Police State'
- ~ALTERNATIVE HEALTH CARE~
- RETIRED 4 STAR ADMIRAL BLOWS WHISTLE ON BENGHAZI [EXACTLY]
- US DOLLAR COLLAPSE AND JAPAN'S SHAM CURRENCY WAR: THE HIDDEN AGENDA BEHIND JAPAN'S KAMIKAZE QUANTITATIVE EASING
- EXPOSED: ANGELINA JOLIE PART OF A CLEVER CORPORATESCHEME TO PROTECT BILLION BRCA GENE PATENTS, INFLUENCE SUPREME COURT DECISION(opinion)
- FUKUSHIMA FALLOUT THREAT AND COVER UP CONTINUES
- TOXIC ARSNIC FOUND IN 90% OF CHICKEN MEAT
- MASSIVE TAX FRAUD LOOP HOLE
- ← Holder facing liberal backlash over AP records grab DOJ on ‘gays’: ‘Silence will be interpreted as disapproval’ → 41 17 101 Print Friendly and PDF IRS ‘knocked tea party off its mission’
- How About Some Truth? 'The Truth is America is being led down a road of total destruction by the one who sits in the White House.'
- Congressman gets standing O for nailing IRS chief
- Monsanto and Other GM Firms are Winning in the US – and Globally
- Faking the News: The Benghazi Emails Scandal
- Paul Ryan: IRS Withheld Information From Congress
- 10 Amazing Charts That Demonstrate The Death Of The American Worker
Help Us Grow
- DICK ACT of 1902 . . . CAN'T BE REPEALED (GUN CONTROL FORBIDDEN) The Trump Card Enacted by the Congress Further Asserting the Second Amendment as Untouchable
- ANOTHER HIDDEN SECRET IN OBAMACARE 'RFID CHIP IMPLANTS'
- COLORADO MASSACRE LINKED TO HISTORIC BANK FRAUD
- ILLULMINATI CABAL FLEE BY THE HUNDREDS AS MASS ARESTS AWAIT THEM FROM STATES BECOMING FREE FROM THE FED....
- Can a Land Patent SAVE YOUR HOME? - Even if you are NOT in foreclosure?
While the US Air Force's drones have been firing all sorts of air-to-surface missiles and bombs for roughly a decade now, the Navy took a big step toward getting in on the action last week when it launched six Israeli-made Spike missiles from an unmanned 36-foot motorboat.
The Navy pretty much admits that the project — called the unmanned surface vehicle precision engagement module (USV PEM) — is aimed at defeating threats that are straight out of Iran's war plans for the Persian Gulf region.
"The USV PEM project was developed in response to recent world events which have increased the concern over swarms of small attack craft, as well as threat assessments outlined in recent studies conducted by the Naval Warfare Development Command," said NAVSEA Naval Special Warfare Assistant Program Manager Mark Moses in a press release. "The study punctuates the effectiveness of these swarm attacks against both military re-supply ships and naval vessels. Technology demonstrated in this project can provide a capability to combat terrorists who use small low-cost vehicles as weapons platforms."
It sounds like the Navy is looking at using small fleets of these vehicles to patrol the waters around its larger vessels to shield against swarms of suicide attackers using tiny speedboats laden with explosives — a longstanding vulnerability to US ships designed to pummel large ships, aircraft, and inland targets from far away using missiles, torpedoes and large caliber cannons.
How does USV PEM work? During last week's test, a crew in a control station on shore piloted the boat — similar to the way UAVs are controlled — and used its night vision and infrared cameras to find and kill targets using the missiles or a remotely controlled .50 caliber heavy machine gun that's mounted on board. It's easy to imagine that in the future, these control stations could install aboard ships being protected by the USV PEM technology.
"During the demonstration, they engaged stationary and moving targets out to 3.5km," or just over two miles, says the Navy's press release.
The project is part of a joint-US-Israeli collaboration run out of the US Navy's sea systems command's Special Warfare Program Office. The same shop is responsible for, among other things, fielding a number of tiny submarines used to listen for enemy submarines, deliver Navy SEALS and other secret squirrel activities.
Until the Navy can field these killer roboboats, it will be mounting remotely controlled chain guns aboard its ships and possibly lasers and Griffin missiles to defend against swarm attacks.
Reed is a national security reporter for Foreign Policy. He previously edited Military.com's publication Defense Tech and was the associate editor of DoDBuzz.
Related in this Category
- China Has More Than 40 Of These Underground Air Bases And They’re Nearly Impossible To Destroy
- Putin pledges 400 ICBMs for Russia in 10 years
- ‘CIA drones deliberately target/murder innocent people’, Video exposes double-talk by Obama on murders of civilians by CIA drones in Pakistan
- Successful US-Israel radar test launches US missile shield’s operational phase
- Exclusive: Pentagon budget eyes $178.8 bln for R&D, procurement
- Navy unveils new missile capable of destroying enemy weapons at THREE times the speed of sound
- New drone has no pilot anywhere, so who’s accountable
- Presidential Commission: Directed Energy Weapons Used On American Citizens in Tests
- Pentagon Wants Commando 'Mothership' in Middle East
- Breaking: Patriot Missiles Seized, Sold To China by Israel (Updates)
- Published 12:39 23.01.12 Latest update 12:39 23.01.12 Report: Russia to deliver combat jets to Syria
- Millions were in germ war tests
- Iran to return US secret drone... as a toy
- PROJECT CLOVERLEAF- CHEMTRIALS AND THEIR PURPOSE
- Boeing’s Mystery Missile
- 100 Ton Missile – Russian’s New Secret Projec
- PENTAGON SCIENTISTS USE 'TIME HOLE' TO MAKE EVENTS DISAPPEAR
- Mysterious Signal Knocks Out Power Near Denver International Airport, Colorado, US
- Israel Cannot Wage a War against Iran without a 'Green Light' from the US
- Patriot Missiles Seized, Sold To China by Israel