Feds stonewall on Obama draft registration record
Agency contends microfilm available only to authorized federal investigation
Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s Cold Case Posse says Selective Service System officials apparently are trying to dissuade the Arizona investigative team from attempting to obtain original documentation to determine whether Barack Obama’s draft registration form is authentic.
Cold Case Posse lead investigator Mike Zullo received a letter from an official claiming the agency cannot release the original microfilm of Obama’s draft registration unless the inquiry comes from a law enforcement organization under federal jurisdiction conducting a federally authorized investigation.
The agency previously disclosed to Zullo’s team, which is probing Obama’s eligibility for the presidential ballot, that the original paper documents had been destroyed and only microfilm records remained.
The Cold Case Posse authorized by the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office has found probable cause that the Selective Service draft registration form presented by Obama is a forgery. The volunteer team of retired law enforcement investigators under Arpaio’s authority came to the same conclusion about the birth record published by the White House one year ago.
Read the preliminary findings of Sheriff Arpaio’s Cold Case Posse investigation after six months investigating Obama’s constitutional eligibility to serve as president in “A Question of Eligibility,” co-authored by Jerome Corsi and Mike Zullo.
The team says it cannot make a conclusive determination about the two documents unless it obtains the microfilm records so they can be examined by independent experts.
“Everything seems to be revolving around the production of microfilm, and we’re stonewalled in every direction,” Zullo told WND.
As WND reported, Zullo sent a letter last week to Selective Service System Director Lawrence Romo asking for reassurance that microfilm records of Obama’s draft registration form still existed after it was reported that new Selective Service privacy rules might allow existing microfilm records to be destroyed as well.
The May 10 reply to Zullo’s inquiry, from Associate Director of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs Richard S. Flahavan, explained that “for security purpose and to prevent workflow disruption in servicing public inquiries,” access to both the master microfilm copy of the record and the working copy is not available to the public.
“However, access is available to law enforcement organizations with Federal jurisdiction that are conducting an authorized Federal investigation,” Flahavan said.
Zullo told WND that the agency’s statement “is pretty much indicating to us that the attempt here is to dissuade us from attempting to see the original microfilm record, the master copy.”
He said his team wants to know whether the restriction on access to the documents is a statutory regulation or an internal policy newly created by Selective Service.
The new letter, he said, at least confirms that while the paper copies have been destroyed, the microfilm record still exists.
Zullo told WND that the Selective Service System’s latest response is still under review by the sheriff.
Selective Service admits destruction
In an April 3 letter responding to Arpaio, Flahavan, said the agency had destroyed Obama’s original paper and ink draft registration form.
“The simple response is no; it was destroyed in 1980,” Flahavan wrote. “Per agency policy and practice, when a Selective Service System record is created from the registration card, the card is microfilmed and the paper card is then destroyed. This has been our policy for more than 30 years.”
Reporter Alan Jones, writing for Communities @Washington Times, found that the Selective Service System published new privacy rules in the Federal Register Sept. 20, 2011, four days after WND reported Sept. 16, 2011, that Arpaio had commissioned the Cold Case Posse to open an inquiry with full subpoena power into the alleged forgery of several Obama identity documents, including his long-form birth certificate and his Selective Service draft registration form.
Jones article noted it was the first update to Selective Service privacy regulations in 11 years.
The key change is that the new regulations reclassify the status of draft registration forms from “record copies” to “non-record copies,” with the proviso that “non-record copies” are subject to disposal.
The new privacy regulations further allow the Selective Service System to destroy microfilm copies of Selective Service registration forms under certain circumstances.