Councilwoman goes against peers to feed Houston's homeless
More Recent Stories
- REPEAL THE MONSANTO PROTECTION ACT AND SAVE STATES RIGHTS TO LABEL GMOs
- Rush Limbaugh: ‘We can’t impeach Obama’
- FBI shoots Chechen dead in Florida, man questioned over links to Boston bombers
- Obama Admits to Killing Four Americans with Drones
- Breaking News: China Destroys 3 US Shipments of GM Corn
- Nevada Governor Candidate Warns Boy Scout Jamboree May be Next False Flag
- Infrared sensors used along ‘entire border of the United State,’ says CBP
- America: A Modern-Day Sparta
- Vermont could be first US state to mandate GMO food labeling
- US terror drones kill more civilians than terrorists: ICG report
- Mystery of Moon’s Magnetic Field Deepens
- Activists Tasered and Arrested Protesting Holder and Bank Fraud
- Separation between Church and Tax
- Alert: Obama Has Authorization to Deploy Military onto US Streets at Any Time
- 11 Governments Are Meeting in Peru to Figure Out How They Can Control the Internet
- OBAMA'S WAR ON FREE EXPRESSION
- GLOBAL WARMING DEBUNKED: NASA REPORT FERIFIES CARBON DIOXIDE ACTUALLY COOLS ATMOSPHERE
- A BUMP IN THE ROAD
- CONGRESSMAN MIKE ROGERS' OPENING STATEMENT ON HEALTH CARE REFORM IN WASHINGTON, DC.
- Massive Military Operation in South America
Help Us Grow
- DICK ACT of 1902 . . . CAN'T BE REPEALED (GUN CONTROL FORBIDDEN) The Trump Card Enacted by the Congress Further Asserting the Second Amendment as Untouchable
- ANOTHER HIDDEN SECRET IN OBAMACARE 'RFID CHIP IMPLANTS'
- COLORADO MASSACRE LINKED TO HISTORIC BANK FRAUD
- ILLULMINATI CABAL FLEE BY THE HUNDREDS AS MASS ARESTS AWAIT THEM FROM STATES BECOMING FREE FROM THE FED....
- Can a Land Patent SAVE YOUR HOME? - Even if you are NOT in foreclosure?
Rita Garcia, Reporter & Anchor
A city councilwoman broke city ordinance as organizers passed out dozens of warm meals to the homeless in Downtown Houston.
Volunteers set up camp on public property across the street from the city's library.
The problem? They didn't give the council notice nor did they receive written permission to serve food.
"We do not need permission to feed and share with our fellow people," said Nick Cooper with Food Not Bombs, the group behind Wednesday night's event.
Cooper was fully aware he could face a citation, but he said his organization feeds four days out of the week and will continue to do so, despite the revised city ordinance that went into effect July 1.
Houston City Council voted to require all organizations get written consent from the city before camping out and feeding the homeless.
Councilwoman Helena Brown was out-voted. She called the city law wrong and unconstitutional.
"For some of us to share food, this is part of our religion," Brown said.
Others, like downtown resident Hershel Donny, agree with the ordinance.
"There have to be regulations," Donny said. "Bad things happen to good people, but they have to follow the rules of the community in order to keep the community nice."
Thousands want the same thing while still feeding the homeless.
At Tuesday's city council meeting, protestors collected over 30,000 signatures from those wanting the council to place the issue on the November ballot.
Houston Mayor Annise Parker said the city secretary would have to verify all names. Given the time constraints, the issue will not make the ballot.
Since then, a number of advocates and attorneys have threatened to file suit.
Cooper said he'll continue to set up on public property and feed the homeless.
Related in this Category
- MANY OF YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE SOME OF THE THINGS AMERICANS ARE DOING JUST TO SURVIVE
- Man Who Purchased House for $16 Has Been Evicted
- NEW Video South Africa-Durban Beaches-Black Flag
- HAITI Displaced Mark a Tragedy That Could Have Been Yesterday
- US: Child Homelessness Up 33% in 3 Years
- Skilled Boers denied work: starve in South Africa streets
- The KC Star's Editorial: Fight Homelessness with Tax Credits for Affordable Housing
- 46 Million Americans Now Live On Food Stamps As Homeless Tent City Camps Spring Up Nationwide
- 'Gaza or bust for Africa to Gaza convoy'
- WHITES, ELDERLY, ATTACKED BY JEW-MOTIVATED, NEGRO GOVERNMENT
- Freedom for Palestine by OneWorld.
- Urban Danger Documentary - Entire File
- Homeless People----from the mouth of babes
- Two years after Operation Cast Lead, Gaza remains imprisoned
- Trashed in Iraq: 'Look what they've done to us!'
- Coming Home Homeless: The New Homeless Among Veterans
- The tunnel people of Las Vegas: How 1,000 live in flooded labyrinth under Sin City's shimmering strip
- When Home Has No Place to Park
- The poor and impoverished turn to the forest
- 100001 Treated like dogs