Councilwoman goes against peers to feed Houston's homeless
More Recent Stories
- A PRAYER FOR AMERICA
- SANANDA: THE VOICE OF TRUTH SHALL BE HEARD THROUGHOUT THE LAND - Part 2 (with Italian Translation)
- BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY IN THE HEALTH INDUSTRY (with Comment by PHB)
- ON THE ROAD TO DAMASCUS: AN EYEWITNESS REPORT
- 'MYSTERIES OF RADIANCE UNFOLDED' - 'ALL IS RADIANCE' - PHOENIX JOURNAL 74 --CHAPTER 3 - 'THE ONE LIGHT'
- 'MYSTERIES OF RADIANCE UNFOLDED' - 'ALL IS RADIANCE' - CHAPTER 2 - PHOENIX JOURNAL 74 - WHO ARE YOU? WHAT ARE YOU? WHY ARE YOU? WHAT IS YOUR JOURNEY AND PURPOSE?-
- FACT SHEET: JEWS CONTROL AMERICA
- WAS MOORE TORNADO CREATED TO COVER UP SCANDALS? COMPELLING EVIDENCE! (with Comment by PHB)
- CELL PHONE 'TOWERS' ARE NOT WHAT WE WERE LEAD TO BELIEVE
- ~ALTERNATIVE HEALTH CARE~
- WOOLWICH TERROR & THE SOCIAL ENGINEERING STEPPING STONES TO WORLD WAR III
- EXPLOSIVE: PRESIDENT OF CBS NEWS AND WH BENGHAZI FICTION-WRITER ARE BLOOD BROTHERS
- RUSSIA WARNS OBAMA: GLOBAL WAR OVER 'BEE APOCALYPSE' COMING SOON
- OREGON STATE CAFR BUDGET REVEALED
- THE TRUTH COMES OUT: FORMER IRS DIRECTOR ADMITS TAXES ARE VOLUNTARY
- SHERIFFS PLAN TO PUT THE FEDS BACK IN THEIR PLACE
- I'M FROM THE IRS, COUGH TWICE, PLEASE
- Obamacare Loophole Provides Incentive For Employers To Hire Illegal Aliens Over US Citizens
- Repeal the Monsanto Protection Act
- Cars, people sent tumbling into Skagit River as I-5 bridge collapses
Help Us Grow
- DICK ACT of 1902 . . . CAN'T BE REPEALED (GUN CONTROL FORBIDDEN) The Trump Card Enacted by the Congress Further Asserting the Second Amendment as Untouchable
- ANOTHER HIDDEN SECRET IN OBAMACARE 'RFID CHIP IMPLANTS'
- COLORADO MASSACRE LINKED TO HISTORIC BANK FRAUD
- ILLULMINATI CABAL FLEE BY THE HUNDREDS AS MASS ARESTS AWAIT THEM FROM STATES BECOMING FREE FROM THE FED....
- Can a Land Patent SAVE YOUR HOME? - Even if you are NOT in foreclosure?
Rita Garcia, Reporter & Anchor
A city councilwoman broke city ordinance as organizers passed out dozens of warm meals to the homeless in Downtown Houston.
Volunteers set up camp on public property across the street from the city's library.
The problem? They didn't give the council notice nor did they receive written permission to serve food.
"We do not need permission to feed and share with our fellow people," said Nick Cooper with Food Not Bombs, the group behind Wednesday night's event.
Cooper was fully aware he could face a citation, but he said his organization feeds four days out of the week and will continue to do so, despite the revised city ordinance that went into effect July 1.
Houston City Council voted to require all organizations get written consent from the city before camping out and feeding the homeless.
Councilwoman Helena Brown was out-voted. She called the city law wrong and unconstitutional.
"For some of us to share food, this is part of our religion," Brown said.
Others, like downtown resident Hershel Donny, agree with the ordinance.
"There have to be regulations," Donny said. "Bad things happen to good people, but they have to follow the rules of the community in order to keep the community nice."
Thousands want the same thing while still feeding the homeless.
At Tuesday's city council meeting, protestors collected over 30,000 signatures from those wanting the council to place the issue on the November ballot.
Houston Mayor Annise Parker said the city secretary would have to verify all names. Given the time constraints, the issue will not make the ballot.
Since then, a number of advocates and attorneys have threatened to file suit.
Cooper said he'll continue to set up on public property and feed the homeless.
Related in this Category
- MANY OF YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE SOME OF THE THINGS AMERICANS ARE DOING JUST TO SURVIVE
- Man Who Purchased House for $16 Has Been Evicted
- NEW Video South Africa-Durban Beaches-Black Flag
- HAITI Displaced Mark a Tragedy That Could Have Been Yesterday
- US: Child Homelessness Up 33% in 3 Years
- Skilled Boers denied work: starve in South Africa streets
- The KC Star's Editorial: Fight Homelessness with Tax Credits for Affordable Housing
- 46 Million Americans Now Live On Food Stamps As Homeless Tent City Camps Spring Up Nationwide
- 'Gaza or bust for Africa to Gaza convoy'
- WHITES, ELDERLY, ATTACKED BY JEW-MOTIVATED, NEGRO GOVERNMENT
- Freedom for Palestine by OneWorld.
- Urban Danger Documentary - Entire File
- Homeless People----from the mouth of babes
- Two years after Operation Cast Lead, Gaza remains imprisoned
- Trashed in Iraq: 'Look what they've done to us!'
- Coming Home Homeless: The New Homeless Among Veterans
- The tunnel people of Las Vegas: How 1,000 live in flooded labyrinth under Sin City's shimmering strip
- When Home Has No Place to Park
- The poor and impoverished turn to the forest
- 100001 Treated like dogs